The Northern Finance Association’s 2016 Annual Conference was held on September 16-18, 2016 in Mont Tremblant, Québec.
BEST PAPER AWARDS
Best Paper on Market Microstructure
Award sponsored by Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC)
“Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining: Fast Trading, Microwave Connectivity and Trading Costs”
Andriy Shkilko (Wilfred Laurier University) and Konstantin Sokolov (Wilfred Laurier University)
Best Paper on Derivatives
Award sponsored by Montreal Institute of Structured Finance and Derivatives (IFSID)
“Firm Fundamentals and Variance Risk Premiums “
Matthew Lyle (Kellogg School of Management) and James Naugton (Kellogg School of Management)
Best PhD Paper
Award sponsored by The Bank of Canada
“Do Countries Matter for Information Diffusion in Financial Markets? Evidence from Global Supply-Chain Networks”
Christoph Schiller (Rotman School of Management)
Best Paper in Corporate Finance
Award sponsored by CFA Institute
“Bankruptcy and the Cost of Organized Labor”
Murillo Campello (Cornell University), Janet Gao (Indiana University), Jiaping Qiu (McMaster University), and Yue Zhang (McMaster University)
Best Paper on FinTech
Award sponsored by Scotiabank Digital Banking Lab at Ivey Business School
“Financial Innovation and Borrowers: Evidence from Peer-to-Peer Lending”
Tetyana Balyuk (Rotman School of Management)
Best Paper on ETFs in Asset Management
Award sponsored by Canadian ETF Association (CEFTA)
“Who is afraid of BlackRock?”
Massimo Massa (INSEAD), David Schumacher (McGill University), and Yan Wang (Erasmus University Rotterdam)
Registration is now closed.
NFA memberships can be purchased here.
- Please note that you need to be an NFA member to register for the conference.
- Please use the same email for membership and registration.
- After membership is confirmed (1-2 business days), please register here.
- Early-bird registration fees will be $250 for regular members and $150 CAD for PhD Students (plus taxes) starting on May 11, 2016.
- After June 14, registration fees will be $350 for regular members and $250 (plus taxes) for PhD Students (plus taxes).
- Dr. Andrew Karolyi’s “Special Session for Assistant Professors” is now full. You may add your name to a waiting list when registering for the conference.
- Please register by September 6th, 2016 if you have dietary restrictions. We cannot guarantee all dietary requests can be accommodated after that date.
Onsite Registration Hours
- Friday, 16 September from 11:30am to 5pm
- Saturday, 17 September from 8:00am to 12pm and 4:30pm to 6pm
- Sunday, September 18 from 8:00am to 10:30am
NFA 2015 was in Lake Louise
The NFA 2015 Conference was held in Lake Louise, Alberta, from September 18-20, 2015.
The Program Chair was Vikas Mehrotra.
The NFA Annual General Meeting took place during the NFA Conference Luncheon on Saturday September 19, 2015, at the Chateau Lake Louise Convention Centre.
NFA 2014 was in Ottawa
The NFA 2014 Conference was held in Ottawa, Ontario, from September 12-14, 2014. It was the first conference to be organized by the NFA as an incorporated entity.
The Program Chair was Gordon Sick.
The NFA Annual General Meeting took place at the Conference Luncheon on Saturday September 13.
To help preserve the quality and share the work, we are always looking for good reviewers. If you would like to become an NFA reviewer, please send an email to the Program Chair indicating your interests, with a copy of your CV or a link to your personal web page. We are automatically carrying forward our list of reviewers from last year.
Discussants and Session Chairs
We are working to maximize participation opportunities in the conference, so corresponding authors of accepted papers will generally not be asked to discuss papers. Instead, we will select discussants and session chairs from our list of NFA contacts, which includes NFA 5-Year Members, reviewers, current authors and prior authors. If you are willing to be considered as a reviewer, a discussant, and/or a session chair, please contact the Program Chair at chair@
Also, you can purchase a 5-Year Membership.